GROWTH MINDSET PROJECT DIRECTIONS
With a group of 2-3 people, read and research as much as you can about the concept of the GROWTH MINDSET. Ms. Park will be posting several videos and resources on her website, learnpark.us that you can use to research, brainstorm, and jot down notes about. You must complete your OWN notes on at least one video and two articles. Then, with your group you are to view the concept of growth v. fixed mindset through ONE Gate Depth and Complexity Icon (colorful posters) and ONE content imperative (black and white posters). Don’t forget about the “new” icons as well. Your information should include textual evidence and support from the articles and videos you read, viewed, and researched. You must show your findings through a written format (this can be directly on your artifact, or separately attached and typed). You must also create a symbol, artifact, or illustration (2D or 3D) that captures what you wrote about and learned.
Part 1 - Growth Mindset Notes (from at least 1 video and 2 articles) - (individual) You can use any format of notes that you prefer (Cornell, Outline, Mind Map, etc…)
Part 2 - Written Component (group): View MINDSET through ONE icon and ONE imperative. Create a two paragraph (12+ sentences) written component explaining your ICON and IMPERATIVE about Mindset (i.e. multiple perspectives and contribution - you would be explaining the various perspectives, including criticisms about Mindset theory and how these multiple perspectives CONTRIBUTE to how people view mindset today, or how they view their own learning today.) You can show me your written work to get it proof-read and checked!
Part 3 - Artifact (group): Create an art piece, poster, painting, sculpture, booklet, flyer, shape, ANYTHING that illustrates and symbolizes the growth v. fixed mindset theory and your ICON + IMPERATIVE. We will discuss possible examples in class. Please remember that decoration for the sake of mere prettiness or illustrations that do not symbolize or express meaning do not count.
Due date - Thursday, August 24th, 2018
Part 4 is your group presentation! Please be ready to present your project in front of the class by August 24th and August 25th. You will be given class time to work on this project, but we will be doing other assignments as well. Please use your class time wisely and be productive!
Part 5 - Reflection (individual): You are going to be reflecting on what you learned. This is an individual assignment and will be posted on your "About Me" section of your Weebly sites. Ms. Park will give more detail and a separate due date for this assignment.
Growth Mindset Resources!
- Developing a Growth Mindset: Watch Carol Dweck speak about the power of yet versus the tyranny of now and her research on growth mindset. (Stanford Alumni, 2014)
- Stanford University’s Carol Dweck on the Growth Mindset and Education: Read an interview transcript for an introduction to Carol S. Dweck’s work and thinking, including her research into mindsets and the concept of "fixed mindset" versus "growth mindset." (OneDublin.org, 2012)
- Recognizing and Overcoming False Growth Mindset: Clarify some common misconceptions about growth mindset. "Growth Mindset: Clearing Up Some Common Confusions" from KQED's MindShift is another good read. (Edutopia, 2016)
- Carol Dweck Talks Growth Mindset: Understand how having high expectations of students and providing effective support can be a winning combination. (Edutopia, 2014)
- How To Help Every Child Fulfill Their Potential: Watch an animation about growth mindset that explains how the the type of praise students are given can affect student performance. (RSA Animate, 2015)
"Growth v. Fixed Mindset" www.youtube.com/watch?v=brpkjT9m2Oo
Carol Dweck explains Growth v. Fixed Mindset www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiiEeMN7vbQ&list=PLvqwZA3hUDrS9hknSCWaAVDgyJqpHE-ob&index=1
Infobundl Growth Mindset Video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElVUqv0v1EE&list=PLvqwZA3hUDrS9hknSCWaAVDgyJqpHE-ob&index=3
Growth Mindset Animation www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_oqghnxBmY&index=4&list=PLvqwZA3hUDrS9hknSCWaAVDgyJqpHE-ob
Carol Dweck speaking with Khan Academy www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh0OS4MrN3E
The Power of Belief - Eduardo Briceno - TEDEx Ed www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN34FNbOKXc
Links to Websites www.brainpickings.org/2014/01/29/carol-dweck-mindset/
TedEd - Growth v. Fixed Mindsets: An Introduction - https://ed.ted.com/featured/qrZmOV7R
Most recent on Mindset by Carol Dweck - What a Growth Mindset actually means (2016) https://hbr.org/2016/01/what-having-a-growth-mindset-actually-means
ARTICLES AND OTHER RESOURCES
- How the growth mindset is misused by educators - www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/11/23/teachers-parents-often-misuse-growth-mindset-research-carol-dweck-says
- The Effort Effect - theefforteffect.pdf
- Grow Your Mindset - growyourmindset.pdf
- Famous minds with growth mindsets - http://www.ladybrook.stockport.sch.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Famous-Growth-MindSets.pdf
- 30 Biographies that encourage a growth mindset - https://imaginationsoup.net/2016/05/10/30-biographies-model-growth-mindset/