- Walt Whitman's "I Hear America Singing"
- Langston Hughes; "I, Too"
- John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath (Chapter Nineteen)
- An article in The Atlantic, titled "What does 'American' actually mean?" by Karina Martinez-Carter (2013)
- An article from The New York Times titled "American Dream? or Mirage?" by Michael K. Kraus, Shai Davidai, and A. David Nussbaum (2015).
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I have a dream" speech
- Podcasts from WBEZ's This American Life
Today, we discussed the meaning of an AMERICAN, what it means to be AMERICAN, and what the AMERICAN LIFE is all about. All of your thoughts and ideas that you contributed are included below. We will continue to tackle these issues, engage in discussions, and revisit many of these claims, ideas, and assumptions. Remember, there are no wrong answers (except for a few haha), and the most important lesson to learn is that context and multiple perspectives MATTER.